Expert Tips for Your Wedding Dance
You have put many important aspects of your wedding into the hands of experienced experts: from venue, photographs, hair/ makeup, flowers. Let a dance professional give you some insider tips on how to have a perfect first dance at your wedding. You deserve to do something more polished than the “huggy shuffle” or the “clutch and sway” on the dance floor.
Here are our Top 8 Tips for your wedding dance:
- Pick the Perfect Song– Of course, you want your song to have special meaning, but some songs are inherently more danceable than others. It is much easier to dance to a song with a strong, steady beat. We also recommend that the song be no longer than 3 minutes long. You want your guests to be excited, and not wondering when it will be finally over.
- Start Early– It is recommended you start your lessons 2 to 3 months before your wedding day. Learning a new skill takes some time and practice. Don’t wait until the last minute.
- Your Dress Effects Your Movement– We take into account the type of dress you are wearing so there are no awkward mishaps on the dance floor. The moves should match your dress. If you are wearing a sleeveless dress, care must be taken with any twirls underarm so there is no “slippage.” Likewise, a puffy skirt, or long train needs to be managed so you don’t trip.
- Practice in Your Wedding Shoes– Many women have trouble walking in high heels, never mind dancing in them! It’s important to consider your footwear at your wedding. Are the bottom of your shoes slick, especially on the type of floor at your venue? Slingbacks do not offer the stability that a traditional pump does. Most of all, you will need to practice dancing in the very shoes you will wear at your wedding so there are no surprises!
- Have Fun Learning Together– Planning a wedding can be very stressful. Many couples say that taking lessons together was the highlight of their wedding planning because they had fun and spent quality time together. Consider it like a date night!
- Keep Your Dance Simple– Yes, we have all seen those epic wedding dances on Youtube. And those are great, but unless you have 6 months to prepare, it is best to keep your dance elegant and simple. You should look comfortable and confident!
- Tell Your DJ & Photographer About Your Dance– Many times, we edit the music for our clients, and give them a copy. It’s vital to give this exact version to your DJ so won’t be surprised with a different one! Photographers love to catch those perfect shots. We make sure you are facing certain directions during your dance so you can tell your photographer where to be to capture those amazing moments!
- Hire a Professional Dance Instructor– We are experts at making first dances for weddings. Let us help you put a dance together that you will cherish for a lifetime. We will take care of all the tips we shared today, and all you have to do is enjoy the moment! Schedule a lesson today!
2017 © Ballroom Expression Dance Studio